Recipe: Eggplant and Spinach
from co-op member Nina
Eggplant and spinach
- 2 medium eggplants
- A co-op sized bag of spinach
- 8 or 9 mushrooms
- Tomato sauce
- Sundried tomatoes
- Parmesan cheese
- Monterey jack cheese, or grated mozzarella
- Olive oil
- Peel both eggplants and slice them into 1/8 inch thick circles.
- Soak a handful of sundried tomatoes in hot water to soften them up.
- Set oven for 375 degrees.
- Coat two cookie sheets with olive oil, lay the eggplant slices on them and bake in oven for 20 minutes.
- While they are baking slice mushrooms thinly, and chop spinach – not too small.
- When tomatoes are soft cut them into small pieces with scissors.
- Grate 2 cups of cheese.
- Pour some tomato sauce into the bottom of a small lasagna pan.
- Layer the slices of eggplant across the bottom of the pan.
- Spread out ½ the mushrooms on top of them.
- Layer on ½ of the chopped spinach, sprinkle on ½ the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle on some grated parmesan, and then 1/2 of the grated cheese.
- Pour on a little more tomato sauce, then repeat the eggplant, mushroom, spinach, tomato, parmesan cheese step.
- Layer on the rest of the eggplant
- Pour on more sauce, and then put on the rest of the grated cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil, and bake at 375 for 45 minutes.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes before eating.
This is really good with pesto pasta on the side.
Posted: to Recipes on Thu, Apr 12, 2012
Updated: Thu, Apr 12, 2012