Recipe: Curried Cream of Broccoli Soup
from Jane Brody’s Good Food Book
Curried Cream of Broccoli Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped (about 2 teaspoons)
- 3/4 teaspoons curry powder
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 2/3 cups broth, vegetable or chicken
- 1 cup water
- 1 bunch broccoli, including the peeled stems, cut into flowerets and 1/2 inch slices (about 1 pound)
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 cup milk
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter or margarine, and saute the onion and garlic for a few minutes.
- Add the curry, pepper, broth, and water to the pan, bringing the soup to a boil.
- Add the broccoli and potato. When the mixture returns to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until all the vegetable are temder (about 20 minutes).
- Puree the soup in batches in a blender or food processor. Return the puree to the pan, stir in the milk, and cook over low heat until hot. (Do not boil once the milk has been added.)
This soup is easily doubled, and freezes well without the milk.
Posted: to Recipes on Sat, Jan 7, 2012
Updated: Sat, Jan 7, 2012