Recipe: Orange Onion Jam with Sage and Thyme
from "We Sure Can!" by Sarah B. Hood
- 5 cups thinly sliced sweet onions
- 1/3 cup water
- 1large garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups finely chopped peeled oranges
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage or 2 teaspoons dried
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon thyme or regular thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 box (2 oz.) powdered pectin
- 3 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- In a wide deep pot, combine onions and water and cook on medium heat.
- Simmer, stirring occaisionally, until very soft (10 minutes).
- Stir in garlic, oranges, sage and thyme.
- Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until oranges are softened (about 8 minutes).
- Stir in vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Stir in pectin until dissolved.
- Bring to a full boil over high heat, stirring all the while.
- Stir in granulated and brown sugars.
- Return to full boil, stirring constantly.
- Once sugar is dissolved, remove from heat and skim off foam.
- Stir 8 - 10 minutes to prevent floating fruit.
- Ladle into sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 inch at the top.
- Seal and process for 15 minutes at a rolling boil.
- Allow the jars to gradually cool in the hot water for at least 5 minutes.
Posted: to Recipes on Wed, Dec 7, 2011
Updated: Wed, Dec 7, 2011