Recipe: Slow-Simmered Vegetable Broth
from the book Fresh From the Vegan Slow Cooker
This recipe makes about 8 cups in a 5-6 quart slow cooker, 8 hours on very low.
- 1 large yellow onion, thickly sliced
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 celery rib, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/3 cup corasley chopped fresh flat leaf parsley leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 8 cups water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 dried shiitake or porcini mushrooms
- Combine all the vegetables (except mushrooms) and peppercorns in the slow cooker. Add the water, salt, soy sauce, and mushrooms. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours.
- Let the soup cool slightly. Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a pot, pressing the vegetables against the sieve to release their juices. In airtight containers, the broth can keep in the refrigerator for 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Posted: to Recipes on Sun, Jan 5, 2014
Updated: Sun, Jan 5, 2014