Recipe: Roasted Sweet Potato and Black Bean Salad
from the book One-Dish Vegan
- 1.5 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1.5 cups cooked black beans
- 1 cup fresh or thawed frozen peas
- 1/3 cup unsalted roasted cashews
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 celery rib, minced
- 3 scallions
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1-2 teaspoons agave nectar or maple syrup
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Lightly oil a baking sheet and spread the sweet potatoes on it. Drizzle with olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Roast the sweet potatoes until just tender, about 30 minutes, turning once about halfway through. Cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the black beans, peas, cashews, cranberries, celery, and scallions.
- In a small bowl, combine the orange juice, lemon juice, agave, 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, salt to taste. Whisk in 3 tablespoons oil to blend.
- Add the cooled sweet potatoes to the vegetables. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss gently to combine.
- Arrange the lettuce leaves in a shallow serving bowl, top with potato bean mixture. Serve.
Posted: to Recipes on Sun, Jan 5, 2014
Updated: Sun, Jan 5, 2014