Recipe: Spicy Peanut Soup
from the book One-Dish Vegan
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or water
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 or 2 small hot chiles, seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1.5 tablespoons wheat-free tamari
- 1.5 teaspoons molasses
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup uncooked jasmine rice
- 3 cups thinly sliced bok choy
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 8 ounces extra firm tofu, drained, blotted dry, and cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped unsalted roasted peanuts
- Heat the oil or water in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, chile, and ginger. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft (5 minutes).
- Stir in the peanue butter, tamari, molasses, and tomatoes with their juices.
- Stir in the rice and the bok choy.
- Add the broth.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until vegetables and rice are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the tofu, coconut milk, and lime juice.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Simmer until heated through.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with peanuts. Add a little sriracha if desired.
Posted: to Recipes on Sun, Jan 5, 2014
Updated: Sun, Jan 5, 2014