Recipe: Pear Butter
from Frugal Living
- Pears (40 medium-sized or 50 small)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1. Peel, core and chop pears. Then, puree in a blender.
2. Put the pear puree, sugar and spices into a crock pot (4 quarts or larger), and set on high.
3. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until reduced by half.
To Can: Ladle the pear butter into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/2-inch of headspace. Then, run a spatula or bubble remover tool around the inside edge of the jar to remove any air bubbles. Wipe the rims clean; top with a boiled lid; secure the band, and process in a boiling water bath – 20 minutes for pints, 25 minutes for quarts. Place the jars on a towel, and allow them to cool overnight. Then, test the jars for a good seal in the morning (press down on the lid; and if the lid doesn't pop back, the jar is sealed). Refrigerate any jars that did not seal.
To Freeze: Ladle the pear butter into clean, freezer jars, leaving 1/2-inch of headpace in pint jars and 1-inch of headspace in quart jars. Seal the jars, and allow to cool completely before freezing.
Yield: 4 pints or 2 quarts
Posted: to Recipes on Sat, Oct 19, 2013
Updated: Sat, Oct 19, 2013