Recipe: Healthy Eggplant Parmesan
from Prevention magazine
Healthy Eggplant Parmesan
You can use any eggplant variety in our recipe, except the small green Asian eggplant, which has a denser texture than the others. Make the simple tomato sauce for this dish in just 20 minutes while the eggplant bakes. Prepare extra sauce, if you like, and refrigerate for up to a week or freeze for up to 2 months.
Work time: 35 minutes / Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes / Servings: 4
- 2 1/4 lb sm eggplant (2-3), cut into 1/4" slices
- 1/4 c + 1 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 lb plum tomatoes or 1 can (28 oz) tomatoes, chopped
- 20 fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 c freshly grated Parmesan
1. Heat oven to 400°F. Generously oil 2 non-stick baking sheets.
2. Put eggplant on pans and brush tops with 1/4 cup of the oil. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Bake 30 minutes or until softened.
3. Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently, 1 minute.
4. Add tomatoes, basil, pepper, and remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and cook until sauce is thickened and reduced to about 2 cups, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Transfer tomato mixture to food processor and puree until nearly smooth.
6. Coat bottom of 8" x 8" baking pan with 1/2 cup of the sauce. Add one-third of the eggplant, and top with another 1/2 cup of the sauce and 3 tablespoons of the cheese. Repeat twice (eggplant, sauce, cheese), ending with remaining 6 tablespoons cheese.
7. Bake until browned, about 30 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
Posted: to Recipes on Mon, Jun 24, 2013
Updated: Fri, Sep 20, 2013