Recipe: Parsnip, Potato, and Spinach Chowder
from the book, The Vegetarian Hearth
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups tightly packed fresh spinach
- 2 cups milk
- freshly ground white pepper
- dash of cayenne
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- In a stockpot, saute the onion and garlic in the butter until soft, 8 - 10 minutes.
- Add the parsnips and potatoes, stir to coat them, then continue to cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the water and salt and simmer, covered, until the vegetables are tender, 20 - 30 minutes.
- Wash the spinach thoroughly and remove any coarse stems. Cut into thin strips.
- Add the milk, pepper, cayenne, scallions,, spinach and parsley to the soup.
- Simmer 10 minute more.
- Just before serving, stir in the dill.
Posted: to Recipes on Tue, Apr 16, 2013
Updated: Tue, Apr 16, 2013