Recipe: Warm Brown Rice Salad
from the Lady Killigrew
Warm brown rice salad
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups short-grain brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium beet, trimmed and halved
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 crown broccoli, cut into florets
- 5 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Grape-Nuts cereal
1. In a large saucepan, combine the water, rice, and salt. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and cover the pan. Simmer for 50 minutes or until the rice is tender but still has some bite.
2. Meanwhile, in another saucepan fitted with a steamer insert, bring several inches of water to a boil. Add the beet and cover the pan. Cook over high heat for 25 minutes or until the beet is tender. Remove from the pan. When the beet is cool enough to handle, cut it into julienne strips. Tip out the water and rinse the pan.
3. Half-fill the saucepan with more water. Add the carrots, bring to a boil, and cover the pan. Steam for 10 minutes or until tender. Remove from the pan.
4. Add more water to the saucepan if necessary. Bring the water to a boil. Add the broccoli, cover the pan, and steam for 5 minutes or until tender.
- 1/4 balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 clove fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 piece (1 inch) fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
1. In a bowl, whisk the vinegar, salt, pepper, and soy sauce. Gradually whisk in the oil 1 tablespoon at a time. Stir in the garlic, ginger, and maple syrup.
2. In a large bowl, combine the rice, carrots, broccoli, scallions, onion, and Grape-Nuts. Sprinkle with half the dressing and toss well. Add salt, pepper, and the beets. Toss again. Add more dressing, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the brown rice and vegetables are moistened. Adapted from the Lady Killigrew Cafe.
Posted: to Recipes on Tue, Feb 5, 2013
Updated: Tue, Feb 5, 2013