Recipe: Baked Radicchio and Mozzarella Pasta Recipe
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/4 stick)
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium white onion, small dice (about 1 cup)
- 7 medium Roma tomatoes (about 2 pounds), cored and coarsely chopped
- 3 heads Treviso radicchio (about 4 cups), ends trimmed and sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch strips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound penne rigate or ziti pasta
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, small dice (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Heat the oven to 400°F and arrange a rack in the upper third. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When it foams, add garlic and onion, season well with salt, and cook until onion is translucent, about 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and let simmer until slightly reduced and thickened, about 10 minutes. Add radicchio and cream and cook until radicchio is wilted, about 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in the salted water for about half the time recommended on the packaging and drain. (Do not rinse.) Set aside.
- Once the sauce has finished simmering, combine it with the half-cooked pasta and mix until the pasta is evenly coated. Place the pasta mixture in a 13-by-9-inch baking dish and sprinkle the mozzarella and Parmigiano over top. Place in the oven and bake until the mixture is bubbling, the pasta is al dente, and the top is golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Posted: to Recipes on Wed, Nov 14, 2012
Updated: Wed, Nov 14, 2012