Recipe: Braised and Raw Black Kale Salad
from Restaurant Ubuntu, Napa, California
- ½ cup pine nuts, divided
- ½ cup olive oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced (3 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 ½ lb. black kale, stems trimmed, divided (16 cups)
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 6 Tbs. lemon juice, divided
- 6 tsp. grated lemon zest, divided
- Shaved Parmesan cheese for garnish, optional
1. Preheat oven to 325ÂºF. Spread pine nuts on baking sheet. Toast in oven 10 minutes, or until light brown. Set aside.
2. Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions, and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until translucent. Add garlic and red pepper flakes; cook 1 minute. Add 12 cups kale, and stir until coated with oil. Stir in 1/2 cup water, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 1 hour, or until kale is soft.
3. Bring raisins and sherry to a boil in saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook 5 minutes, or until raisins are plumped. Transfer to bowl, and stir in vinegar, 2 Tbs. lemon juice, 2 tsp. lemon zest, remaining 1/4 cup olive oil, and pine nuts.
4. Slice remaining 4 cups kale into thin ribbons, and toss with remaining 4 Tbs. lemon juice and 4 tsp. lemon zest in medium bowl.
5. Run knife through cooked kale to slice into bite-size pieces. Transfer to platter, and drizzle with half of pine nut mixture. Top with raw kale ribbons, drizzle with remaining pine nut mixture, and sprinkle with Parmesan, if using.
Posted: to Recipes on Thu, Sep 27, 2012
Updated: Thu, Sep 27, 2012