Recipe: Tofu Mashed Potatoes
from Vegetarian Times
- 6 medium cloves garlic, peeled
- ¾ cup vegetable broth
- ½ cup low-fat firm silken tofu (4 oz.)
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes (4 medium), peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- In small saucepan, combine garlic and broth and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until garlic is very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer broth to blender or food processor. Add tofu and oil and process until mixture is smooth and creamy. Cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in large saucepan, combine potatoes with enough cold water to cover. Add 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook until potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup of potato cooking water; drain potatoes well.
- In large bowl, mash potatoes; gently stir in warm tofu mixture and enough reserved potato water to make smooth puree. Season with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper and nutmeg and serve.
Posted: to Recipes on Thu, Aug 23, 2012
Updated: Thu, Aug 23, 2012