Recipe: Asparagus with Red Pepper Sauce
from the NY Times
Asparagus With Red Pepper Sauce
- 4 medium red or yellow bell peppers, cored and seeded
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 small piece fresh or dried hot pepper
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/4 pounds trimmed asparagus
- 1/2 pound yellow bell pepper, peeled, cored, and seeded, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- Freshly ground pepper
Coarsely chop the bell peppers and onion. Place them in a heavy pot with the rest of the ingredients except the asparagus and the remaining yellow bell pepper. Simmer, covered, over low heat for 30 minutes. The mixture should be very soft. Uncover and let it cool to room temperature.
Put the cooled mixture into a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Then press the sauce through a fine sieve to eliminate bits of skin.
Heat boiling water in the bottom of a steamer. Put the asparagus in the steamer basket, cover, and cook until done, about three minutes.
Spoon some red pepper puree on each of four salad plates. Arrange the asparagus neatly on top. Garnish each plate with the diced pepper and a few grindings of black pepper.
Posted: to Recipes on Thu, Aug 23, 2012
Updated: Thu, Aug 23, 2012