Recipe: Creamy Carrot and Parsnip Soup
from Vegetarian Times
Creamy Carrot and Parsnip Soup
30 minutes or fewer
For a chunkier soup, purée only half of the soup mixture, then stir it back into the remaining broth and vegetables.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 parsnips, cut into ½-inch pieces (4 cups)
- 5 carrots, cut into ½-inch pieces (2 cups)
- 1 large onion, diced (1 ½ cups)
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- ¾ cup packed sun-dried tomatoes (not in oil), roughly chopped, divided
- 2 ¼ tsp. chopped fresh oregano
- 1 ½ tsp. chopped fresh basil
- 3 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 6 thin slices Italian bread, toasted
1. Heat oil in pot over medium-high heat. Add parsnips, carrots, and onion; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add 3/4 cup broth; cook 10 minutes, or until broth is evaporated. Add remaining 5 1/4 cups broth, 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, oregano, and basil. Cover, and bring to a brisk boil. Remove from heat. Purée soup in blender or food processor until smooth.
3. Chop remaining 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, and stir into soup. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Ladle soup into bowls, drizzle lightly with balsamic vinegar, and garnish with toast.
Posted: to Recipes on Sun, Aug 5, 2012
Updated: Sun, Aug 5, 2012