Recipe: Fiddleheads Dijon
from the University of Maine Cooperative Extension
1-1/2 pounds fresh fiddleheads
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup nonfat buttermilk
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
3/4 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Clean and prepare fiddleheads.
- Remove scales and wash thoroughly.
- Place fiddleheads in a vegetable steamer over boiling water.
- Cover and steam 20 minutes or until tender, but still crisp.
- Set aside, and keep warm.
- Combine cornstarch and buttermilk in a small saucepan; stir well.
- Cook over medium heat until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; stir in mustard, lemon juice, tarragon and pepper.
- Arrange fiddleheads on a serving platter.
- Spoon sauce over fiddleheads.
- Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings.
Posted: to Recipes on Wed, Apr 18, 2012
Updated: Wed, Apr 18, 2012